Why should we care?
Runnymede Library, 2178 Bloor St. W.
Dire reports have been coming out over the past weeks on climate destabilization:
• IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5 degrees C
• Lancet Countdown 2018 Report: Briefing for Canadian Policymakers
• Fourth National Climate Assessment (U.S.)
• World Health Organization’s COP24 Special Report on Health and Climate Change
• In the works (IPCC): The Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate
• In the works (IPCC): Special Report on Climate Change and Land
In preparation for the town hall on climate change and pricing carbon pollution, to be hosted by our MP Arif Virani the following evening, (January 16), you are welcome to join Green 13 the evening of Tues. Jan. 15 as we watch and discuss:
• Greta Thunberg’s school strike for climate - save the world by changing the rules - and how young people around the world are joining in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmmUIEsN9A (11 min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6s8YgRH5T0 (18 min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiD04TRwebQ (20 min.) and
Fridays for Future: Canadian youth on climate strike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nazSalwOCgs&feature=youtu.be (3 min.)
and learn about the:
• Lancet Countdown 2018 Report, focused on the health impacts of climate change on Canadians.
Read more here: http://green13toronto.org/blog/lancet-countdown-2018-report-tracking-progress-health-and-climate-change-0
You may view the recording of the launch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h975dnvws-4 however, the quality of the sound is unfortunately not the best.
We’ll view an interview with Courtney Howard, co-author of this report, and President of CAPE. https://tvo.org/video/programs/the-agenda-with-steve-paikin/climate-health-crusader (20 min.)
• outcome of COP24, the recent gathering of some 200 nations on climate
• UN Sec. Gen. says it's "immoral and suicidal" not to accelerate GHG emissions reductions