Earth Hour Planning Meeting Update
A very good meeting last week and our most well attended yet!
Through the support of an number of community partners and individuals, we have solidified a full week of events leading up to Earth Hour. A calendar of events is below.
We are in the process of creating a flyer/ poster which will encourage resident and business particpation in Earth Hour by "powering down" and will also include the calendar of events. Once finalized, we will e-mail this out so you can share with your contacts.
We are also working on an Earth Hour "tool kit" which will include tips on energy conservation, fun facts for kids and relevant information about stopping climate change. The kits will be delivered to neighbourhood schools, as well as being made available to local residents and businesses.
Finally, we will be advocating for all our political leaders to take real action on climate change via a petition that will be on our blog and available for signature.
Thanks again to everyone who has offered to volunteer. We can really use your help! We need people to specifically asssist with the following projects:
- Putting up posters around the community
- Going to individual businesses asking them to participate in Earth Hour and to display a poster
- Delivering flyers door-to-door
- Assisting on the days of the Inorganic Markets (details below)
- There will also be a number of other project-specific events that we will need help with - more details to follow.
If you have some time to spare please let us know.
Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 3rd at 7:30, at West Toronto Baptist Church , 3049 Dundas Street West . The meeting location is wheelchair accessible. Please bring an empty jar or two to help with the High Park Nature Centre's lantern making workshops.
If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me via this e-mail or at 416-760-8557. Also, remember to check out our blog at http://www.green13toronto.blogspot.com/.
on behlaf of Green 13
Calendar of events:
Saturday March 21st – An “Inorganic Market” in the Junction, No Frills parking lot at 372 Pacific Ave. & Dundas (10 am -3 pm)
Sunday March 22nd – An “Inorganic Market” in Bloor West Village, No Frills parking lot on Bloor Street West (10 am – 3 pm)
Monday March 23rd – A lantern making class at the High Park Nature Centre, 430 Parkside Drive (6:30 pm) 416-392-1748 ext. 6
Tuesday March 24th – Toronto Debating Society tackles climate change at Swansea Town Hall (7:30 pm)
Wednesday March 25th – A lantern making class with the High Park Nature Centre, 430 Parkside Drive (6:30 pm) 416-392-1748 ext. 6
Thursday March 26th – Swansea Town Hall Meeting on Nuclear Energy (7:30 pm) Sponsored by the Swansea Area Ratepayers Association
Friday, March 27th –
- Local schools hold Earth Hour events
- Critical Mass bike ride (starting at Keele Street and Dundas Street West at 6 pm)
- Free public screening of “Tales of a Yellow Bike” at the Revue Cinema, sponsored by MPP Cheri DiNovo. Director Tina Hahn will be in attendance. (7 pm)
Saturday March 28th –
- Power down and join your neighbours on one of three candlelight walks through Bloor West Village , the Junction or High Park . The Bloor West Village and Junction Business Improvement Areas will also be participating.
- Following the walks at 9:30, a community reception will be held at Runnymede United Church sponsored by MPP Cheri DiNovo.